Subject: 29.0.50; gnus-fetch-original-field returns nil in digest

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:13:45 -0400

In the group gmane.comp.security.risks on server nntp:news.gmane.io open
an article and type C-d (gnus-summary-enter-digest-group).
Then enter a message from the summary buffer (e.g., SPC)
and now (gnus-fetch-original-field "Newsgroups") returns nil instead of
"gmane.comp.security.risks" as it should.
The variable gnus-original-article-buffer evaluates to
" *Original Article gmane.comp.security.risks*"
and that buffer starts like this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Path: news.gmane.io!.POSTED.blaine.gmane.org!not-for-mail
From: RISKS List Owner <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.risks
Subject: Risks Digest 33.09
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 16:23:26 PDT
Approved: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: ciao.gmane.io; posting-host="blaine.gmane.org:116.202.254.214";
	logging-data="10317"; mail-complaints-to="[email-masked]"
To: [email-masked]
...
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-apple-darwin21.3.0, NS appkit-2113.30 Version 12.2.1 (Build 21D62))
 of 2022-03-14 built on 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: 1c4421183ed93fb033e17934205934ca3c423908
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.2.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH='

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug bbdb-message mailalias sendmail cookie1 debug pulse
color xref project grep edebug backtrace shortdoc nndoc sort smiley
gnus-cite textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-dup mail-extr gnus-ml hl-line disp-table spam
spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg utf-7 gnus-cache bbdb-gnus gnutls
network-stream nsm nntp cal-move dabbrev log-view vc-annotate misearch
multi-isearch cl-print help-fns radix-tree skeleton log-edit pcvs-util
smerge-mode diff vc-mtn vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs pcase
package compile add-log vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-start files-x
tramp-compat shell ls-lisp remember flyspell ispell org-element avl-tree
generator cl-extra help-mode ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file
url-dired svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message mailcap yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex
ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic
bibtex iso8601 ol rx org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-x view cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam holidays
hol-loaddefs bbdb-anniv cal-iso cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar
cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
vc-dir ewoc vc bug-reference vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher
midnight warnings gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm
mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone edit-server advice server winner ring
which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map seq gv subr-x
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars help-at-pt desktop
frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-load info iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 725528 101544)
 (symbols 48 30868 14)
 (strings 32 241311 4085)
 (string-bytes 1 6143183)
 (vectors 16 88608)
 (vector-slots 8 1265635 76111)
 (floats 8 1234 740)
 (intervals 56 17524 3282)
 (buffers 992 81))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://www.dhimmitude.org https://thereligionofpeace.com
Parachute for sale, used once, never opened, small stain.