Subject: bug#54421: AM_PROG_AR and LT_INIT don't work together when using lib.exe

From: Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 00:03:51 -0500

On 13 Jan 2023 13:52, Tim Ruffing wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-01-13 at 05:52 +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i think the expectation is that, if you're using libtool, then you
> > use libtool.  
> 
> Well, I *use* libtool. libtool needs some AR. I choose to use
> libtool.exe with the ar-lib wrapper. 

you wondered why no one has reported/noticed hits before.  i gave you
an explanation.  what you're doing is unusual, and so far, i haven't
seen an explanation as to why you're doing something unusual.  so the
(implicit) question still stands: why are you using Automake's archive
(ar-lib) logic when libtool already provides support for doing the same
thing -- creating static archives.

should we fix it ?  probably.  is it worth the effort ?  maybe not.
would we accept patches from someone who wants to spend the time ?
depends on the patch.
-mike