Subject: bug#54406: closed (Re: bug#54406: 28.0.91; rcirc text wrapping)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 00:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#54406: 28.0.91; rcirc text wrapping

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54406: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54406
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54406: 28.0.91; rcirc text wrapping
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:38:12 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The call has been removed with b2283409fbe4324ee2fb50b385a9b6cc3458693c.
>> Should we close the report or does Ken want to try it out first to
>> confirm that everything works?
>
> Ping?

No further updates within 4 months, so I'm closing this now.

If this is still an issue, please reopen.

Subject: 28.0.91; rcirc text wrapping
From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:11:46 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I’ve got automatic filling of text disabled in rcirc; I use 
variable-pitch-mode for more pleasant readability, and 
visual-line-mode and wrap-prefix to get line breaks based on the 
window width.  Or, at least, I did in previous releases. 
 
        (custom-set-variables 
         ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.  ;; If you 
         edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.  ;; 
         Your init file should contain only one such instance.  ;; 
         If there is more than one, they won't work right. 
         …STUFF…  '(rcirc-authinfo '(…STUFF…))  '(rcirc-fill-flag 
         nil) '(rcirc-keywords '(…STUFF…))  '(rcirc-log-flag t) 
         '(rcirc-reconnect-delay 0) '(rcirc-server-alist 
           '((…WORK STUFF…) 
             ("irc.gnome.org" :nick "raeburn" :port 6697 :channels 
              ("#gnucash") :encryption tls) 
             ("irc.libera.chat" :nick "raeburn" :port 6697 
             :channels 
              ("#rcirc" "#vdo" "#fedora" "#rhel" "#fedora-x86" 
              "#fedora-ppc" "#fedora-arm" "#fedora-s390x" 
              "#fedora-laptops" "#emacs" "#ansible" "#gnus" 
              "#org-mode") :encryption tls))) 
         '(rcirc-time-format "%FT%T ") '(rcirc-track-minor-mode t) 
         …STUFF… 

        (defun kr-rcirc-markup-text-function (sender response) 
          (put-text-property (point) (point-max) 'wrap-prefix " 
          ")) 
        (add-to-list 'rcirc-markup-text-functions 
        'kr-rcirc-markup-text-function t) 
 
        (require 'smart-quotes) (defun kr-rcirc-mode-hook () 
          (variable-pitch-mode 1) (visual-line-mode 1) 
          (smart-quotes-mode 1)) 
        (add-hook 'rcirc-mode-hook 'kr-rcirc-mode-hook) 
 
Now, in Emacs 28.0.91, I still get the variable pitch, and 
visual-line mode applies while I’m entering input, but it appears 
that all messages displayed get wrapped at 70 columns 
(fill-column) even though I’ve got rcirc-fill-flag set to nil. 
This includes not just user messages but also control messages 
like JOIN, QUIT, NAMES, and so on.  I’ve enabled debugging and 
looked at the “*rcirc debug*” buffer and confirmed that the 
strings there do not have the line breaks, including in the 
messages I send, even though they have line breaks when displayed 
back to me after sending. 
 
        2022-03-15T15:59:42 *** sbluhm QUIT Ping timeout: 181 
        seconds
        2022-03-15T16:06:09 *** NAMES @+chris @fell @gncbot @jralls +aj +bertbob +CDB-Man_ +chrko
             +eb +flips +g5pw +knielsen +kyew +mapreri +mauritslamers +miklcct
             +NoobAlice +oztunan +phebus +potatosal +raeburn +reactormonk[m]
             …

Presumably I can work around this by also setting fill-column locally to
some insanely high value, but I shouldn’t need to since rcirc-fill-flag
is documented as turning that functionality off.  (I just checked, it’s
nil in both channel and server buffers.)

Ken

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.17.4, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2022-01-11 built on 7efb8fbccc97436880211dbad44871a1
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Fedora Linux 35 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-gpm=no --with-modules --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json
 --with-native-compilation build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/systemtap-mode-20151122.1940/systemtap-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/systemtap-mode
/home/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/p4-20150721.1937/p4 hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/perforce/p4
/home/raeburn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20211101.2251/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/28.0.91/lisp/transient

Features:
(ind-util quail gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml with-editor
loadhist shortdoc help-fns radix-tree term/xterm xterm gnus-topic
nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache make-mode align qp shadow emacsbug
tramp-cmds cl-print ielm mailalias smtpmail sendmail mail-extr cal-move
sort url-cache url-http url-gw url-auth cperl-mode grep vc-hg vc-bzr
ispell cus-edit pp cus-start misearch multi-isearch gnutls
network-stream nsm add-log reveal perl-mode face-remap dired-aux python
tramp-sh yaml-mode mule-util dockerfile-mode mhtml-mode css-mode color
js sgml-mode facemenu ruby-mode sh-script smie executable texinfo
texinfo-loaddefs bug-reference rst compile org-element avl-tree
generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe ol-docview doc-view image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
view jka-compr ob-shell comp comp-cstr warnings cl-extra help-mode rcirc
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku
svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit time desktop frameset cus-load
kr-init docker-tramp tramp-cache vagrant-tramp dash tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat parse-time ls-lisp
org-protocol org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 time-date ol org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs edit-server advice smart-quotes easy-mmode which-func imenu
icomplete server term disp-table shell pcomplete ehelp comint ansi-color
ring hi-lock finder-inf rx info package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 13715676 653146)
 (symbols 48 49891 51)
 (strings 32 457765 52495)
 (string-bytes 1 12986322)
 (vectors 16 100405)
 (vector-slots 8 2906528 621136)
 (floats 8 580 768)
 (intervals 56 1053258 9997)
 (buffers 992 243))