Subject: Re: bug#54405: 27.1; How to reset connection-local variable

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:24:12 +0100

Version: 29.1

David Landell <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi David,

> This seems to work fine as far as I can tell and as far as my testing
> goes with this feature isolated. There is however a small complication
> which I don't know if it is to be considered a bug or not.
>
> Still this fails with my package. I discovered that this is because
> `hack-dir-local-variables-non-file-buffer' is called at some point for a
> totally unrelated variable to be applied. The actual trigger point is
> `hack-local-variables-apply'.
>
> So further debugging indicates that the connection-local variable that
> is applied (and reset) in `with-connection-local-variables' is also
> added to `file-local-variables-alist' which makes it a buffer local
> during the call to `hack-local-variables-apply'.
>
> Question is if the file-local should be reset at the same time as
> `kill-local-variable' is called in `with-connection-local-variables'?

File-local, directory-local and connection-local variables are set
independently. All of them are implemented as buffer-local variables,
that means, if a given variable is both file-local and connection-local
(or directory-local), there might be conflicts.

Until now, there is no mechanism to avoid this (AFAIK).

> Anyway, on my end this can be resolved, I have a workaround in place. So
> this is mostly FYI.

OK, closing the bug.

> Cheers,
> David

Best regards, Michael.