Subject: bug#54405: 27.1; How to reset connection-local variable

From: David Landell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 16:02:39 +0100

Thanks Michael for the answer,

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> There does not exist a dedicated function for resetting. What I
> recommend is to use the macro `with-connection-local-variables', which
> runs BODY with applied connection-local variables, and a cleanup to the
> previous state afterwards.
>

This solves my small demo test case but unfortunately it doesn't solve
the main use case I slightly described. In the latter case something
else is calling hack-connection-local-variables-apply outside of the
resetting macro. I think it's possibly from tramp since there is a
process running in the buffer on the remote host.

If I understand the criteria matching correctly, it matches only the
fields available so if I use only the :host key, an unrelated criteria
will match as long as it is using the same :host key, right?

So, seems I should use my own :application key but then I can't use
the resetting macro since that is not applying locals with a unique :application
key. There is something there with 'tramp' being applied by default that
I don't understand though.

Anyway, this is possible to work around now that I think I understand
it.

/David

> Best regards, Michael.