Subject: bug#54400: Emacs error in Ubuntu

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:48:25 +0100

Hi simon

Am Mittwoch, dem 16.03.2022 um 10:36 +0100 schrieb zimoun:
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> $ guix graph --path emacs xz
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
Thanks for investigating, I did not consider ‘guix graph’.

> Note that
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     (source (origin
>               (method url-fetch)
>               (uri (string-append "mirror://gnu/emacs/emacs-"
>                                   version ".tar.xz"))
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> 
> but I do not see ’xz’ in the implicit inputs; only emacs-minimal. 
> Quick look, maybe I miss it.
IIRC, it'd be quite deep in the unpack chain, but maybe I'm mixing
things up as well.

> Well, indeed, something seems unexpected if the Emacs binary is
> linked to liblzma and this liblzma is not an explicit inputs but
> instead comes from a reference to another inputs.
I think that's what you'd observe on other distros as well.  IIRC the
linker ought to correctly resolve/"propagate" such dependencies, so it
shouldn't be a problem.

Vicente, could you check the output of ldd for your Emacs, as well as
libxml2 and also check whether your xz package is perhaps broken and
ought to be repaired?

Cheers