Subject: Re: bug#54394: [PATCH core-updates 00/12] Remove old GNU utilities from early bootstrap

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 18:32:07 +0100

Timothy Sample <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The next two patches spruce up the ‘gnu-bootstrap’ module.  One fixes an
> omission, and the other gets it ready to handle Gash-Utils 0.2.0, which
> unfortunately has two module directories.
>
> The next three are updates.  The bootar update optimistically assumes
> that someone with access will upload the source file to the Guix mirror
> URL: “mirror://gnu/guix/...” as was done with previous versions.
>
> The rest hopefully speak for themselves.  Sadly, the last one is
> something of a jumble.  Originally I wanted to remove the utilities one
> at a time, but it turns out there are interference effects.  I can’t
> remember the exact details now, but to get an idea, removing both old
> Bash and old Grep might work, but removing one and then the other (in
> either order) might not.  Hence, many utilities get updated in one
> commit.

The patches all LGTM!  I think you can push them to ‘core-updates’ if
there are no objections.

Then Maxim, Ricardo, or myself (I think we’re the three people who can
do that currently) can upload bootar to ftp.gnu.org.  Let us know.

It’s quite something to see these intermediate versions of Bash, Gawk,
tar, grep, coreutils, and sed go away in the last patch, and that tells
something about the magnitude of the work that has gone in this
Gash-Utils release.  Thumbs up, and big thanks!

Ludo’.