Subject: bug#54389: 27.1; orgalist freezes emacs on orgalist-insert-item after sublists

From: Daniel Hornung <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:52:52 +0100

Hello,

I just froze my emacs with the help of orgalist:

1. Install markdown-mode and orgalist from (m)elpa
2. Open the following markdown content in a markdown buffer:

```

- Some text:
    - Item 1
  Press M-RET (orgalist-insert-item) here >
```

3. Go to the ">" character and press M-RET (which should be mapped to
orgalist-insert-item).
4. Emacs freezes and must be killed from another process.

This happens with orgalist 1.13 and markdown-mode 20220212.728.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo 
version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-03-28, modified by Debian built on x86-conova-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/work/.../orgalist-bug.md...
Wrote /home/work/.../orgalist-bug.md
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
You can run the command ‘package-list-packages’ with M-x pa-l- RET
Package refresh done
Mark saved where search started

Mark saved where search started

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/
local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/
site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/
local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/
site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-cairo
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-LlFm6W/emacs-27.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/work/.emacs.d/elpa/pylint-20210411.1931/pylint hides /usr/share/emacs/
site-lisp/pylint/pylint
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/emacs/
27.1/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail lisp-mnt mm-archive message
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils misearch multi-isearch
mule-util gnutls network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache
url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap epg epg-config eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree vc-git diff-mode orgalist
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ring org-list org-faces
org-entities time-date org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs markdown-mode color thingatpt
noutline outline keybindings yasnippet-snippets yasnippet cl-extra
derived easy-mmode edmacro kmacro iso-transl paren savehist flycheck
ansi-color find-func help-mode rx dash cus-start cus-load finder-inf
tex-site info package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1269016 60745)
 (symbols 48 24996 6)
 (strings 32 170883 8390)
 (string-bytes 1 6251806)
 (vectors 16 42416)
 (vector-slots 8 528382 18460)
 (floats 8 256 394)
 (intervals 56 147741 1762)
 (buffers 1000 15))

-- 

Daniel Hornung

IndiScale - Wir machen individuelles Datenmanagement skalierbar.

IndiScale GmbH
Lotzestraße 22a
37083 Göttingen

T: +49-551-288 76 48-2
(Homeoffice: +49-151-540 824 69)
E: [email-masked]

Amtsgericht Göttingen • HRB 205721 • Geschäftsführung Henrik tom Wörden