Subject: Re: bug#54385: xscreensaver seems to be missing xscreensaver-demo

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:28:54 +0100

Hi Christine,

Note that the name of this tool has changed upstream[0], but we're still 
on an older version for now.  Building it:

     Warning: GTK version 2.24.33 was found, but at least one supporting
              library (gdk-pixbuf-xlib-2.0) was not, so GTK can't be 
used.
              Perhaps some of the development packages are not installed?

     Warning: The GTK libraries do not seem to be available; the
              `xscreensaver-demo' program requires them.

Where gdk-pixbuf-xlib is of course ‘a deprecated library’ and ‘[n]o 
newly written code should ever use this library’ so that'll be fun to 
maintain the coming years.

Our gdk-pixbuf package still mentions gdk-pixbuf-xlib-2.0.pc in an 
obsolete comment but doesn't actually install it.

Oh:

   NEWS: - Split the gdk-pixbuf-xlib library to a separate repository

The repository is archived and read-only:

   https://gitlab.gnome.org/Archive/gdk-pixbuf-xlib

Oh that is going to be *super* fun to maintain.

At this point I'd usually go ahead and package the beast, but I don't 
use xscreensaver.  How important is this binary?  (-demo sounds 
unimportant, -settings very, but it's presumably the same thing.)

In any case an update to xscreensaver would seem prudent first.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

[0]: https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/changelog.html