Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Add 'guix home container'

From: Frank Pursel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 08:01:16 -0700

Ludo,

This is a very exciting idea.  Entry into guix home has some wrinkles in
it that are scary.  I know it required several iterations over
home-configuration.scm and 'guix home reconfigure' before I was able to
make peace with my guix home.  I see in irc that others are also
experiencing challenges getting the environments where they want them to
be.  This patch allows more control over the adoption of guix home while
also cleverly leveraging improvements to guix containers.  Very cool, I
want it!

I ran this patch against my current, working home configuration to see
what happened and I ran into a problem.  My home-configuration.scm sets
the GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH (using simple-service
'local-environment-variables) and then references packages that are in
that path (in my case a package called emacs-ix).  When I executed 'guix
home container <my-config.scm>' I received the following errors:

guix home: error: emacs-ix: unknown package
guix home: error: failed to load '/home/fpp/src/guix-home-config/home-configuration.scm':
gnu/packages.scm:544:4: In procedure specification->package+output:

IDK if this is the desired behavior.  Can the environment set in
config.scm be set before loading the packages that may modify the
environment?

Regards,
Frank Pursel
acrow#guix