Subject: Re: bug#54371: 29.0.50; read-char does not reset idle timer in some cases

From: Ignacio Casso <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 13:42:19 +0200

>> So unless you see a problem with this, you can close this bug report. Or
>> if you want, I can send a patch to update that section of the manual
>> with a footnote, and maybe some other relevant docstrings.
>
> Please send the patch, and let's take it from there.
>
> Thanks.

Here is a minor patch that adds a footnote to the "Idle Timers" section
of the manual. I have not found any docstrings that need to be updated,
since none of them mention that Emacs becomes idle when it is waiting
for user input. So as far as I know the only place where a user can find
that information is either in the "Idle Timers" section or the "Reading
One Event" section, and the later already mentioned that Emacs becomes idle
only when waiting for input without a timeout.

I have also one question regarding patches that modify comments,
docstrings, or any other text. What is the best practice, to do M-q
after updating the text, or to try to minimize the number of lines
changed in the patch, as I did now, even if that results in some shorter
or longer lines?

>From d22bb5a9058667913a48cf8bbb4ff5782b3b6d7c Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Ignacio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 19:21:00 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] * doc/lispref/os.texi: minor footnote

---
 doc/lispref/os.texi | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/os.texi b/doc/lispref/os.texi
index 9cb9bc75d0..7c41dd90c7 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/os.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/os.texi
@@ -2294,7 +2294,8 @@ Idle Timers
 @end deffn
 
 @cindex idleness
-  Emacs becomes @dfn{idle} when it starts waiting for user input, and
+  Emacs becomes @dfn{idle} when it starts waiting for user input
+@footnote{Unless it waits with a timeout (@pxref{Reading One Event})}, and
 it remains idle until the user provides some input.  If a timer is set
 for five seconds of idleness, it runs approximately five seconds after
 Emacs first becomes idle.  Even if @var{repeat} is non-@code{nil},
-- 
2.25.1