Subject: Re: bug#54371: 29.0.50; read-char does not reset idle timer in some cases

From: Ignacio Casso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:48:37 +0100

> However, it sounds like we do this on purpose, to avoid problems with
> idle timers that call sit-for.  See the discussion that started here:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-08/msg00395.html
>
> The change installed at that time made read_char avoid restarting idle
> timers when it is called with a non-nil END_TIME argument.

I see. I'll try to get this fixed on the code invoking read-char then,
replacing

  (read-char PROMPT nil N)

with

  (let ((char (read-char PROMPT nil N)))
    (when char
      <<reset-idle-timer-function>>
      )
    char)

However I can't find the proper function to use in place of
<<reset-idle-timer-function>>. Do you know of a way to reset the idle
timer programmatically, without actual user input?

Regards,

Ignacio