Subject: 29.0.50; error on "M-x list-package"

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 08:23:19 +0530

I have only this in "~/.emacs.d/init.el":

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(custom-set-variables
 '(debug-on-error t))
(setq custom-file (expand-file-name "custom.el" user-emacs-directory))
(when (file-exists-p custom-file)
  (load custom-file))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I get this error when calling "M-x list-packages":

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable mm-automatic-display)
  signal(void-variable (mm-automatic-display))
  #f(compiled-function (status) #<bytecode 0x1839b215d22216bc>)((:peer
(:certificates ((:version 3 :serial-number
"04:a9:69:35:97:d9:88:93:bc:c6:be:39:90:bf:87:79:87..." :issuer
"C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=R3" :valid-from "2022-02-10" :valid-to
"2022-05-11" :subject "CN=elpa.nongnu.org" :public-key-algorithm "RSA"
:certificate-security-level "Medium" :signature-algorithm "RSA-SHA256"
:public-key-id "sha1:44:f6:c3:b4:2e:68:13:7d:fd:05:98:61:07:28:ea:..."
:certificate-id "sha1:ba:94:40:af:39:2d:9c:25:0d:79:ec:d5:ee:2a:a9:..."
:pem "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIFJDCCBAygAwIBAgISBK...") (:version 3
:serial-number "00:91:2b:08:4a:cf:0c:18:a7:53:f6:d6:2e:25:a7:5f:5a" :issuer
"C=US,O=Internet Security Research Group,CN=ISRG Ro..." :valid-from
"2020-09-04" :valid-to "2025-09-15" :subject "C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=R3"
:public-key-algorithm "RSA" :certificate-security-level "Medium"
:signature-algorithm "RSA-SHA256" :public-key-id
"sha1:8a:93:82:f4:c8:04:08:34:5e:5b:c2:f8:d7:55:d3:..." :certificate-id
"sha1:a0:53:37:5b:fe:84:e8:b7:48:78:2c:7c:ee:15:82:..." :pem "-----BEGIN
CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIFFjCCAv6gAwIBAgIRAJ...") (:version 3 :serial-number
"40:01:77:21:37:d4:e9:42:b8:ee:76:aa:3c:64:0a:b7" :issuer "O=Digital
Signature Trust Co.,CN=DST Root CA X3" :valid-from "2021-01-20" :valid-to
"2024-09-30" :subject "C=US,O=Internet Security Research Group,CN=ISRG
Ro..." :public-key-algorithm "RSA" :certificate-security-level "High"
:signature-algorithm "RSA-SHA256" :public-key-id
"sha1:f8:16:51:3c:fd:1b:44:9f:2e:6b:28:a1:97:22:1f:..." :certificate-id
"sha1:93:3c:6d:de:e9:5c:9c:41:a4:0f:9f:50:49:3d:82:..." :pem "-----BEGIN
CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIFYDCCBEigAwIBAgIQQA...")) :certificate (:version 3
:serial-number "04:a9:69:35:97:d9:88:93:bc:c6:be:39:90:bf:87:79:87..."
:issuer "C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=R3" :valid-from "2022-02-10" :valid-to
"2022-05-11" :subject "CN=elpa.nongnu.org" :public-key-algorithm "RSA"
:certificate-security-level "Medium" :signature-algorithm "RSA-SHA256"
:public-key-id "sha1:44:f6:c3:b4:2e:68:13:7d:fd:05:98:61:07:28:ea:..."
:certificate-id "sha1:ba:94:40:af:39:2d:9c:25:0d:79:ec:d5:ee:2a:a9:..."
:pem "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIFJDCCBAygAwIBAgISBK...")
:key-exchange "ECDHE-RSA" :protocol "TLS1.3" :cipher "AES-256-GCM" :mac
"AEAD" :encrypt-then-mac nil)))
  apply(#f(compiled-function (status) #<bytecode 0x1839b215d22216bc>)
(:peer (:certificates ((:version 3 :serial-number
"04:a9:69:35:97:d9:88:93:bc:c6:be:39:90:bf:87:79:87..." :issuer
"C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=R3" :valid-from "2022-02-10" :valid-to
"2022-05-11" :subject "CN=elpa.nongnu.org" :public-key-algorithm "RSA"
:certificate-security-level "Medium" :signature-algorithm "RSA-SHA256"
:public-key-id "sha1:44:f6:c3:b4:2e:68:13:7d:fd:05:98:61:07:28:ea:..."
:certificate-id "sha1:ba:94:40:af:39:2d:9c:25:0d:79:ec:d5:ee:2a:a9:..."
:pem "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIFJDCCBAygAwIBAgISBK...") (:version 3
:serial-number "00:91:2b:08:4a:cf:0c:18:a7:53:f6:d6:2e:25:a7:5f:5a" :issuer
"C=US,O=Internet Security Research Group,CN=ISRG Ro..." :valid-from
"2020-09-04" :valid-to "2025-09-15" :subject "C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=R3"
:public-key-algorithm "RSA" :certificate-security-level "Medium"
:signature-algorithm "RSA-SHA256" :public-key-id
"sha1:8a:93:82:f4:c8:04:08:34:5e:5b:c2:f8:d7:55:d3:..." :certificate-id
"sha1:a0:53:37:5b:fe:84:e8:b7:48:78:2c:7c:ee:15:82:..." :pem "-----BEGIN
CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIFFjCCAv6gAwIBAgIRAJ...") (:version 3 :serial-number
"40:01:77:21:37:d4:e9:42:b8:ee:76:aa:3c:64:0a:b7" :issuer "O=Digital
Signature Trust Co.,CN=DST Root CA X3" :valid-from "2021-01-20" :valid-to
"2024-09-30" :subject "C=US,O=Internet Security Research Group,CN=ISRG
Ro..." :public-key-algorithm "RSA" :certificate-security-level "High"
:signature-algorithm "RSA-SHA256" :public-key-id
"sha1:f8:16:51:3c:fd:1b:44:9f:2e:6b:28:a1:97:22:1f:..." :certificate-id
"sha1:93:3c:6d:de:e9:5c:9c:41:a4:0f:9f:50:49:3d:82:..." :pem "-----BEGIN
CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIFYDCCBEigAwIBAgIQQA...")) :certificate (:version 3
:serial-number "04:a9:69:35:97:d9:88:93:bc:c6:be:39:90:bf:87:79:87..."
:issuer "C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=R3" :valid-from "2022-02-10" :valid-to
"2022-05-11" :subject "CN=elpa.nongnu.org" :public-key-algorithm "RSA"
:certificate-security-level "Medium" :signature-algorithm "RSA-SHA256"
:public-key-id "sha1:44:f6:c3:b4:2e:68:13:7d:fd:05:98:61:07:28:ea:..."
:certificate-id "sha1:ba:94:40:af:39:2d:9c:25:0d:79:ec:d5:ee:2a:a9:..."
:pem "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIFJDCCBAygAwIBAgISBK...")
:key-exchange "ECDHE-RSA" :protocol "TLS1.3" :cipher "AES-256-GCM" :mac
"AEAD" :encrypt-then-mac nil)))
  url-http-activate-callback()
  url-http-content-length-after-change-function(48183 52253 4070)
  url-http-generic-filter(#<process elpa.nongnu.org> "25 1)))\n\11\11
 \"fill-column for visual-line-mode\"...")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-03-13 built on anant
Repository revision: e7ab69e762c10073e6c52b69ff5e83ad2c638803
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/pankaj/.local'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug sendmail mail-extr message mailcap yank-media rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived
epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 43673 7811)
 (symbols 48 5693 1)
 (strings 32 15751 1051)
 (string-bytes 1 510063)
 (vectors 16 12018)
 (vector-slots 8 167107 11950)
 (floats 8 20 54)
 (intervals 56 216 0)
 (buffers 992 10))