Subject: Re: [BUG] guix home: on foreign distro, ~/.bash_profile is not initialized

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 19:29:10 +0100

Hi Florian

Am Samstag, dem 12.03.2022 um 13:07 +0000 schrieb florhizome:
> 
> Hi guix' !
> I have been trying to use guix home on my foreign distro partition
> (manjaro); especially in order to set up additional profiles from
> there, but my .bash_profile generated by guix doesn't seem to be
> evaluated at all.
> 
> To describe the actual issue finally: None of the things that should
> happen through .bash_profile seem to happen at the moment (it's just
> about different environment variables that will not be set up.), but
> after running bash --login in my terminal-emulator everything is as
> anticipated so my guess is that .bash_profile actually isn't evaluated
> at all after login.  I'm happy to hear other suggestions and especially
> solutions.
This looks vaguely like a problem others (myself included) have
experienced/are experiencing on Ubuntu.  See [1] among others.

Given that bash is not used for login, your environment-variables block
has not effect.  Now if you were to define that inside a variable, you
could also write up a service that generates systemd unit overrides and
add those definitions to it.  I'm not sure how well-received such a
service would be upstream given that we don't use systemd in Guix, but
it's a point to start.

Cheers

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48300#7