Subject: [BUG] guix home: on foreign distro, ~/.bash_profile is not initialized

From: florhizome <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 13:07:29 +0000

Hi guix' !
I have been trying to use guix home on my foreign distro partition
(manjaro); especially in order to set up additional profiles from
there, but my .bash_profile generated by guix doesn't seem to be
evaluated at all.

To describe the actual issue finally: None of the things that should happen through .bash_profile seem to
happen at the moment (it's just about different environment variables that
will not be set up.), but after running bash --login in my
terminal-emulator everything is as anticipated so my guess is that
.bash_profile actually isn't evaluated at all after login. I'm happy to hear
other suggestions and especially solutions.

I will attach the file that I use
for home configuration, as well as the current resulting .bashrc,
.bash_profile and .profile files.
I'm aware that there is duplicated code by the generated aliases in
.bashrc and that the prompt customization  for guix profiles added by
the "guix-defaults?" field does not work due to other related code that comes afterwards but I'm not sure it's related to that main issue.
I did the original set up using "guix home import" which seems to have
improved since I tried last in december last year when the generated
file didn't work at all.
Manjaro has a lot of stuff in it's .bashrc that i didn't want to
override, and maybe there are more cases of duplication there that I
don't know about what harm they might introduce.

Greetings, Florian