Subject: Re: [bug#54352] [PATCH v2] services: dnsmasq: Add more options.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:16:04 +0100

Remco van 't Veer schreef op zo 20-03-2022 om 13:57 [+0100]:
> > What is an ‘arbitrary identify string’ here?  What does ‘cpe’ mean?
> > How can I know if I need to set this, and how do I know what to set
> > it
> > to?
> 
> I think it stands for "Common Platform Enumerator" but I am not
> really sure.  It's used by DNS providers to identify the client so
> they know for what account they are resolving.  Looking at the
> dnsmasq code base this option used to be called "dns-client-id" which
> is a lot clearer.  I could change it to this older name and describe
> it as above.  WDYT?

I'm not familiar enough with DNS to tell which name would be better.
In any case, it seems like you have some material for a description
here.  Additionally, you could add a cross-reference to the relevant
RFC+section number, if you can locate it.

Greetings,
Maxime.