Subject: Re: [bug#54351] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-xah-fly-keys.

From: Jai Vetrivelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 08:33:30 +0530

Hello Maxime,

On 2022-03-12, 18:59 +0100, Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Emacs is GPL3+ (according to guix show).  This extension of Emacs is
> GPL2-only (according to the package definition). Seems like the author
> intended it to be free software, but accidentally made a license
> incompatibility?

Is there any requirement for third party elisp packages to be /gpl3-or-later/?
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-07/msg01069.html>
talks only about packages in the ELPA (xah-fly-keys is not a part of any
ELPA). One package in emacs-xyz.scm is /gpl2-only/, which upstream has
updated to /gpl3+/. [1]

My original concern was the second sentence of the license string.

> Additionally, IIRC, the GPL has some requirements about including a
> copy of the GPL.
>
> I assume these issue would be easy to correct by contacting upstream.
>
> I looked a little further and saw
> <https://github.com/xahlee/xah-fly-keys/issues/28>, so I guess that
> the .el is just a little out-of-date.

I have contacted the author off-list regarding clarification on license.

[1] https://github.com/rlister/org-present/pull/39

-- 
Jai Vetrivelan