Subject: bug#54343: 28.0.91; find-function goes to a wrong place for erc

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:53:14 -0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lin Jian <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> steps to reproduce this bug:
>>
>> step 1: run: emacs -Q
>> step 2: eval (find-function 'erc)
>> step 3: the point goes to the defgroup of erc instead of the cl-defun of
>> it, which I think is wrong
>
> I've now fixed this in Emacs 29.

Fantastic. What you did is much less invasive.

So, just to summarize the new behavior re generics, if I do

  (find-function 'xref-location-marker)

it jumps to the first method definition in xref.el, whereas it used to
end up on a defgeneric higher up in the same file, if present. But if
there's no method in the file (as with `xref-backend-definitions', for
example), the behavior remains unchanged. Probably not newsworthy
enough, but just thought I'd state it for the record.

Thanks.

P.S. OK to install #53617 duplicate checks in erc--switch-to-buffer?