Subject: bug#54339: 13.1.1; TeX-quote-after-quote not set correctly in language styles

From: Frank Fischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 11:51:00 +0100

Language style files initialize the fourth argument of
`TeX-quote-language` from a language specific variable. For instance
consider the following lines (currently 45-48) from german.el

    (q-after-q (if (and (boundp 'LaTeX-german-quote-after-quote)
                        LaTeX-german-quote-after-quote)
                   LaTeX-german-quote-after-quote
                 t)))

There is no way q-after-q can be set to nil by setting
`LaTeX-german-quote-after-quote` to nil because of the if condition.
The correct code is probably

    (q-after-q (if (boundp 'LaTeX-german-quote-after-quote)
                   LaTeX-german-quote-after-quote
                 t)))

There might be similar issues in other language style files.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d 
scroll
bars)
  of 2021-03-28, modified by Debian
Package: 13.1.1

current state:
==============
(setq
  AUCTeX-date "2022-02-22"
  window-system 'x
  LaTeX-version "2e"
  TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
                   "/home/fifr/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.1.1/style"
                   "/home/fifr/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
                   "/home/fifr/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
  TeX-auto-save t
  TeX-parse-self nil
  TeX-master t
  TeX-command-list '(("LatexMk"
                      "latexmk %(-PDF)%S%(mode) %(file-line-error) 
%(extraopts)
%t"
                      TeX-run-latexmk nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode) :help
                      "Run LatexMk")
                     ("TeX"
                      "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%
(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
                      TeX-run-TeX nil
                      (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                      "Run plain TeX")
                     ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil
                      (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
                     ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t"
                      TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
                      "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
                     ("Makeinfo HTML"
                      "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
                      TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
                      "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
                     ("AmSTeX"
                      "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %(output-
dir) %t"
                      TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
                     ("ConTeXt"
                      "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) 
%(execopts)%t"
                      TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt 
once")
                     ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
                      TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
                      "Run ConTeXt until completion")
                     ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode context-mode)
                      :help "Run BibTeX")
                     ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Run Biber")
                     ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil
                      (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texindex")
                     ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command nil
                      (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
                     ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
                      "Run Viewer")
                     ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the 
file")
                     ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
                      "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
                     ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Generate PostScript file")
                     ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
                     ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" 
TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
                     ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
                     ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s" 
TeX-run-command
                      nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
                     ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Run makeindex to create index file")
                     ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Run upmendex to create index file")
                     ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
                      (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
                       texinfo-mode)
                      :help "Run xindy to create index file")
                     ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
                      :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
                     ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil 
(latex-mode)
                      :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
                     ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" 
TeX-run-function nil
                      t :help "Spell-check the document")
                     ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
                      "Delete generated intermediate files")
                     ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t 
:help
                      "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
                     ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
                      "Run an arbitrary command")
                     )
  )