Subject: [bug#54335] [PATCH 11/14] gnu: Add go-google-golang-org-protobuf.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 23:45:36 +0100

Dominic Martinez schreef op vr 11-03-2022 om 15:32 [-0500]:
> As far as I can tell Go expects libraries to be source-only, so 
> I'm not sure what you would do in a build phase. I followed the 
> lead of the other Go library packages like go-golang-org-x-tools 
> (grep golang.scm for "Source-only package").

FWIW, there exist Go libraries that keep the default build phase,
e.g. go-github-com-hashicorp-go-version.  Also, according
to comments in guix/build/go-build-system.scm, it is intended to
someday reuse the compiled build dependencies again (see
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32919>).

Also, perhaps the 'build' phase is currently largely useless for Go
libraries, I'd expect it to be a no-op in those cases, so I don't
expect it to be necessary to delete the build phase.

I expect that existing instances of (delete 'build) in golang.scm can
be removed, but it's not something I've ever actually tried, so I'm
not sure.

Greetings,
Maxime.