Subject: [bug#54309] What is the process from here?

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 21:06:21 +0100

Hi,

Am Freitag, dem 18.03.2022 um 20:17 +0100 schrieb fesoj000:
> Hi there,
> 
> i don't think this is the right spot to ask this, but i am not sure
> where else i could ask this.
> 
> What is the patch acceptance process? I am wondering, what are steps
> from patch to commit?  I have quite some packages, services and other
> patches laying around in varying quality.  I recently started
> cleaning them up.  I plan to get them integrated into master at some
> point.
In general it's send a patch, wait for review (this might take some
time), argue with the reviewer, reluctantly send v2, v3, ... until your
patch passes the quality criteria, gets stamped and arrives upstream
via avian carrier.

> So, i assume that there has to be interest and time from a guix
> developer to review, maybe test and then integrate the
> changes/packages into one of the branches.
Note that there have already been two people reviewing; you currently
owe me a v2 addressing the TOCTOU "race" of creating the audit
directory without 700 permissions. 

> Is there something i can do to help the process along?  Maybe we
> could use this very patch as an example.  Currently i am uncertain if
> this patch is appropriate for master, because of the risk that
> changing the auditd default log directory might break some setups.
> This could be 'fixed' by writing a news snippet. But i
> am not sure.  Or is there still something else missing?
In general, you should read the reviews carefully, reflect on them,
implement suggested changes (or come up with better alternative
solutions) and resend the patches with said changes; rinse and repeat
until you hear a "LGTM".  If the reviewer in question is a committer,
you might hear a "Thanks, pushed" instead.  As a rule of thumb, others
will rarely actively fix up your code and if they do it's mostly minor
things.  Any work more than that takes them away from other review or
their own submissions.

Cheers