Subject: [bug#54304] [PATCH] Don't fix git executable location during Elixir build

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 00:16:18 +0100

Cees de Groot schreef op vr 11-03-2022 om 22:36 [+0000]:
> Well, feel free to do the patching work.

I'm just here reviewing things, looking for possible better
alternatives, etc.

>  Realize that you are going to do work for a) a very small group of
> developers (Elixir is a small language and Guix isn’t hardly a widely
> spread system to begin with), b) a subset of those that need git
> dependencies, and c) a subset of _those_ that need these dependencies
> on a project source tree that itself was not checked out with git
> (otherwise the git executable will already be in the environment and
> everything will work). 
> 
> Please let me know when you found that unicorn developer :)

a) You're an Elixir developer, using Guix, and doing packaging work for
   Elixir in Guix.  Also, how is the popularity of Guix relevant on
   guix-patches@, and how is the popularity of Elixir relevant when
   this whole patch is about improving the Elixir package?
b) does not seem relevant to me, see other e-mails (about removing a
   feature not worth the decrease in closure size IMO, and about
   non-git references)
c) It's a bit niche; it would be a very nice thing of Guix to support
   that niche.

   Also, being checked out with git does not imply that git is
   in the environment, it's possible to first set up a git repository
   and later enter a pure environment for development (guix shell --
   pure elixir elixir-foo elixir-bar).  I often do this (not with
   elixir, but with some other packages).

TBC, what do you mean with ‘unicorn developer’ here?

a) someone implementing this
b) someone in the subset

If (a), I was kind of hinting that you seem to be in a perfect position
to do so (you're an Elixir developer (*) in Guix and you seem to have
some knowledge of the serialisation formats).

(*) I'm assuming "Elixir developer" = "a developer of the Elixir
implementation" here.

> If Guix ever gets elixir packages, that can be tackled. 
> 
> I’m bowing out of this discussion. If my patch gets accepted then all
> good, if not, I’ll move it to my private channel and keep being happy
> there. 

Ok, but I'm a bit confused on why you don't seem interested in fixing
the reference issue and why you write ‘ever’ instead of ‘when’ because
you're both an Elixir and Guix developer.  (You don't have to answer,
not answering is fine.)

Greetings,
Maxime.