Subject: [bug#54304] [PATCH] Don't fix git executable location during Elixir build

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 23:11:24 +0100

Cees de Groot schreef op vr 11-03-2022 om 22:01 [+0000]:
> Can’t we just run the patch? Then everything works just fine. I’m a
> full time Elixir developer and I can guarantee you that nothing will
> break :)

FWIW, I'm not convinced of the value of removing 'git', as I don't
expect a significant decrease in closure size and it makes Elixir a
little less usable (only a tiny bit because git can be installed
manually, but still a bit).

The only remaining reasons for removing it, appear to be avoiding
having to tackle the reference obfuscating issue -- sooner or later
(*), I expect there will eventually be an elixir-build-system and a few
elixir packages.  These elixir packages might need a few 'substitute*'-
style hardcoding.  So eventually, I expect the issue will reappear
again and frequently at that, so we might as well try to fix it now.

(*) Especially since there's an Elixir developer in Guix!

Greetings,
Maxime.