Subject: bug#54292: Commit e8518c43 breaks guix pull on i686

From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 18:12:26 +0000

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, dem 07.03.2022 um 12:47 +0000 schrieb Diego Nicola Barbato:
>> Hi Guix,
>> 
>> Commit e8518c43 (gnu: Add stex) breaks guix pull, specifically the
>> package cache hook, on i686-linux.
> This series also fails on CI in a rather peculiar manner [1,2,3]. 
> However, it succeeded on bordeaux, even for i686 [4].

While these CI issues are certainly interesting and possibly deserving
of their own bug reports, they have little to do with this bug report: I
didn't try to build chez-nanopass [1],
chez-scheme-for-racket-bootstrap-bootfiles [2], or racket [4] itself and
I didn't experience any offloading errors [3].  This bug report is about
guix pull failing to build the package cache on i686-linux (the package
cache is one of the last things guix pull builds, it didn't have any
trouble building guix-packages-base, guix-packages, guix-system,
guix-home, guix-cli, etc.).

> I don't think this is an issue with the patch, we should start
> challenging berlin.

I do think this is an issue with commit e8518c43 because

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix pull --commit=e8518c43 --system=i686-linux -p /tmp/guix
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

fails to build the package cache whereas 

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix pull --commit=75f9f944 --system=i686-linux -p /tmp/guix
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

succeeds (75f9f944 being the parent commit of e8518c43).  I even ran
these with --substitute-urls=https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org in a freshly
downloaded instance of the 1.3.0 QEMU image [5] to rule out corrupted
substitutes from berlin with the same result.

> Cheers

Regards,

Diego

> [1] http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/517560/log/raw
> [2] http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/517546/log/raw
> [3] http://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/130956/log/raw
> [4]
> https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/build/abde7656-0ced-4621-ad89-9a6bf9517f18
[5] https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-vm-image-1.3.0.x86_64-linux.qcow2