Subject: bug#54289: 29.0.50; Emacs ignores xmodmap Super_L assignment

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 18:28:43 +0800

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock
> control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_L (0x42),  Control_R (0x69)
> mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Meta_L (0xcd)
> mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
> mod3
> mod4        slash (0x85),  Super_R (0x86),  slash (0xce),  Hyper_L (0xcf)
> mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c),  Mode_switch (0xcb)
>
>> I suspect that some modifier is mapped to Super_L, alongside slash.
>
> Is the above output consistent with the five mappings in my .Xmodmap
> file?

No: mod4 is both slash

>> That is incorrect, so Emacs and Firefox are within their rights to
>> ignore such a mapping.
>
> If so, how do I get the mapping of Super_L to slash back (at least in
> Emacs)?

Try adding this to your ~/.Xmodmap and evaluating it as well:

  remove mod4 = Super_R
  remove mod4 = Hyper_L

Also add this if you're sure you don't want the actual slash to be
treated as mod4:

  remove mod4 = slash

And see if that resolves the problem.  Also, please tell if that makes
Firefox recognize the mapping as well.

Thanks.