Subject: bug#5428: vc-annotate for Bzr does not show the date

From: Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:18:42 -0800 (PST)

Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

  > > The subject says it all, dates are not displayed by vc-annotate for bzr.
  > >
  > > This is very bad, the date is very useful information.
  > >
  > > It is available as a tooltip, but one cannot search for the information
  > > in the tooltip.
  > >
  > > What is worse is that this is inconsistent with what vc-annotate does
  > > for all other backends, where the date is shown just fine.
  > 
  > But what's displayed is exactly the same as "bzr annotate" on the tty.

The problem is that the command that is actually run is:

bzr annotate --long --all

If you run that from the command line you get the date.  You cannot get
it at all in vc-annotate.

And again this does not change the usefulness of seeing the date.

  > I'd agree that vc-annotate should be consistent across backends, except
  > that vc-annotate with the SVN backend doesn't show the date either ("svn
  > annotate" on the tty also does not display the date).

SVN has an incredibly dumb display for the date in the long form: 

    44 user 2009-10-14 20:48:43 -0700 (Wed, 14 Oct 2009) blah

Probably that's what motivated not to display the date.

Using svn as an argument is not the best idea.