Subject: Re: bug#5428: vc-annotate for Bzr does not show the date

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 04:30:45 +0300

On 05/17/2015 04:16 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
> FWIW, I've often wanted for vc-annotate to use a completely different
> approach, where the buffer's text content is just the actual file's
> content and the extra annotations are only displayed indirectly
> (e.g. via a background color, tooltip text, margin text, or in-buffer
> (but togglable by attribute)).

We already kind of have this possibility, though (via 
vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility). It's not enough because dates 
and names are useful, and even having tooltips won't cut it.

The main stopper, I think, is the "togglable by attribute" UI (well, and 
also the implementations for extracting more granular data for each 
backend).

> Also by using the unannotated file's text in buffer, we could enable the
> normal font-lock rules, so we as to combine the normal font-lock
> highlighting with the background-color of vc-annotate.

That would be nice.