Subject: bug#54275: 29.0.50; wrong-type-argument symbolp 'url-http-noninteractive

From: Jacob Faibussowitsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 11:43:44 -0600

Dear Emacs Devs,

Error message:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument symbolp 'url-http-noninteractive)
  signal(wrong-type-argument (symbolp 'url-http-noninteractive))
  package--with-response-buffer-1("https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/“ 
                                  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1a75c5893469c9cf>) 
                                  :file "archive-contents” 
                                  :async nil 
                                  :error-function #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x1a9f6d22e24eff63>)
                                  :noerror nil)
  package--download-one-archive(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/") "archive-contents" nil)
  package--download-and-read-archives(nil)
  package-refresh-contents()
  funcall-interactively(package-refresh-contents)
  command-execute(package-refresh-contents record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "package-refresh-contents" "package-ref")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "package-refresh-contents" "package-ref")
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

To reproduce from emacs -Q:

1. M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
2. M-x package-refresh-contents RET

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.3.0)
 of 2022-03-06 built on MacBook-Pro-2.local
Repository revision: 56bdfe78208149fa864842d47bfd08d1bc4d6d10
Repository branch: master
System Description:  macOS 12.2.1

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/Users/jacobfaibussowitsch/soft CC=clang
 CXX=clang++ 'CFLAGS=-O3 -mtune=native -flto=thin -flto-jobs=7
 -std=gnu17 -Wno-unused-command-line-argument -Wno-unknown-pragmas'
 'CXXFLAGS=-O3 -mtune=native -flto=thin -flto-jobs=7 -std=gnu++20
 -Wno-unused-command-line-argument -Wno-unknown-pragmas'
 LDFLAGS=-L/opt/homebrew/lib -C --with-native-compilation --with-gnutls
 --without-x --with-xml2 --with-dbus --with-modules --with-json
 --without-ns --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg
 --with-libsystemd --with-cairo --with-zlib --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --disable-gcc-warnings --without-compress-install --with-libgmp’

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE
PDUMPER SQLITE3 THREADS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mail-utils help-fns radix-tree cl-print
debug backtrace comp regexp-opt comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode
tool-bar find-func cus-start cus-load finder-inf url-http mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc
puny url-cache url-auth epg-config package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
cl-loaddefs cl-lib term/xterm xterm seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
kqueue lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 133397 8459)
 (symbols 48 10535 1)
 (strings 32 33824 2911)
 (string-bytes 1 1049398)
 (vectors 16 20354)
 (vector-slots 8 356167 10714)
 (floats 8 46 32)
 (intervals 56 387 0)
 (buffers 992 15))

Best regards,

Jacob Faibussowitsch
(Jacob Fai - booss - oh - vitch)