Subject: vc-annotate inconsistent output format

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:10:37 -0500

Severity: wishlist

vc-annotate on a file under CVS produces a buffer with lines of the format:

1.1          (gmorris  26-Jul-04): #!/bin/bash

On a file under SVN it produces:

  2134    gmorris ;; .emacs

On a file under Bazaar it produces:

39976      gerd@gn | /* Allocate X colors.  Used for testing with dense 

with extra information (including the date) in a tooltip.

All these VC tools are producing (or can produce, given the right
options to the annotate command) the same information (revision, author,
date). It would be nice if Emacs would display the information in the
same format each time, independent of backend.

It would be even nicer if the format were customizable via a format
string. Eg

(setq vc-annotate-format "%r %a %d | %l")

%r = revision
%a = author
%d = date
%l = line of file