Subject: bug#5427: vc-annotate inconsistent output format

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 13:56:45 +0200

Nick Roberts <[email-masked]> writes:

> With SVN, vc-annotate just displays the revision number for each line.
> With CVS, it also displays the date that the line was last changed, which
> can be useful to know.  The date is output from "svn annotate" when the
> option "-v" is used.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

This is still the case in Emacs 29, but since basically git won, it'll
probably take an SVN enthusiast to get this fixed.

Adding -v indeed gives the time:

     1      larsi 2022-05-05 13:46:34 +0200 (Thu, 05 May 2022) This is foo.
     2      larsi 2022-05-05 13:46:41 +0200 (Thu, 05 May 2022) Yes.

But that's too massive to display, so vc-svn-annotate-command would have
to implement a filter to reformat that in a more sensible way.  It
shouldn't be a lot of work -- the person implementing this could look
at, say, vc-cvs-annotate-command as a model for how to write the filter.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no