Subject: Re: bug#54261: [PATCH]: Update GTK to 4.6.1.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 23:48:05 +0100

Hi,

The patches all LGTM, but unfortunately they break fcitx5-gtk, which
pulls in both ‘pango’ and ‘pango-next’, leading to:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
-- Checking for module 'gtk+-3.0'
--   Found gtk+-3.0, version 3.24.30
-- Checking for module 'gdk-3.0'
--   Found gdk-3.0, version 3.24.30
-- Checking for module 'gdk-x11-3.0'
--   Found gdk-x11-3.0, version 3.24.30
-- Checking for module 'gtk4>=4.2'
--   Package 'gtk4' requires 'pango >= 1.50.0' but version of pango is 1.48.10
CMake Error at /gnu/store/zga679c4nldah9l8dhd5a4hdy820hcyf-cmake-minimal-3.21.4/share/cmake-3.21/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:562 (message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /gnu/store/zga679c4nldah9l8dhd5a4hdy820hcyf-cmake-minimal-3.21.4/share/cmake-3.21/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:784 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  gtk4/CMakeLists.txt:10 (pkg_check_modules)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Solutions that come to mind:

  1. Disable the GTK 4 backend of ‘fcitx5-gtk’.

  2. Add ‘pango-next’ as an input of ‘fcitx5-gtk’, taking precedence
     over ‘pango’, at the risk of breaking the GTK+2 and GTK+3
     backends.

  3. There is no 3rd idea.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.