Subject: [bug#54252] [PATCH] gnu: lemonbar: Update to 1.4.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 23:09:06 +0100

Hello,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't have the full context, but I'll chip in in case it is useful.
> When problems in the packaging are discovered as part of our activities,
> I think it is part of our duty to at least report them and
> cross-reference them via a comment in the package source if possible.

As stated previously, it is very good if the packager also has
sufficient knowledge to find and understand a bug in the source code
they are packaging. This can help both Guix and upstream.

However, in this thread the packager claimed they did not have
sufficient knowledge in C to do so. I think it is not a reasonable
expectation to ask them to report a problem they may not understand
sufficiently in order to write a proper report and possibly take part to
the discussion that would entail.

Moreover, in this particular situation, Jai Vetrivelan is not the
original packager for lemonbar; they are merely updating it. This is
another reason for not pressuring them to realize a report that might
put them in an uncomfortable position.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou