Subject: bug#54248: 29.0.50; Uninterned symbols malcompiling

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 20:59:41 +0000

Hello, Michael.

On Sat, Mar 05, 2022 at 02:24:41 +0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Hello,

> this must be a few days old at maximum.  Random example:

> Byte compile a file containing

>   (set '#:my-toggle-invisible 3)

> Load the compiled file ==> (wrong-type-argument symbolp (nil))

> Interpreted code works.

> CC'ing Alan because this might be related to his latest changes to the
> compiler, I didn't investigate, sorry if not.

Thanks!  A bit of bisecting shows that the bug was introduced by the
following commit:

commit 6092ee1c3ff503fbe8087e13b7eae2f904c4af3b
Author: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date:   Thu Feb 24 17:30:39 2022 +0000

    Amend byte-run-strip-symbol-positions so that an unexec build builds

..  I'll have a look at this and see if I can work out how this commit
causes the bug.

> TIA,

> Michael.

> In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 41, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
>  of 2022-03-04 built on drachen
> Repository revision: e46bb68ac27625e4bc466da842f74baea63e835a
> Repository branch: master
> Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
> System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

> Configured using:
>  'configure --with-native-compilation --with-xwidgets'

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).