Subject: bug#54246: 29.0.50; EWW not showing images in some websites

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 20:17:58 +0100

payas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Also about the images being WebP/AVIF, I see an explicit image tag
> with `jpeg' file as src, can eww not prioritise that?

The problem is more specific.  Put this in a file an open with
eww-open-file, and eww won't be able to display it:

<img src="https://cdn.christine.website/file/christine-static/stickers/mara/hmm.png" alt="Mara is hmm">

And the reason is that the web server responds to the fetch with an 401
Unauthorized.  So the CDN is just denying the requests.  I.e., it's a
server issue, not an Emacs issue.

(I don't know why it's doing this, though -- it's probably using AI to
determine if the request is "legitimate" or not, and some combination of
headers we're sending is tripping it.)

Ah!  It's Cloudflare:

CF-Cache-Status: BYPASS
Expect-CT: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"

They have a lot of issues like this.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no