Subject: [bug#54241] [PATCH 0/4] 'github' importer gracefully handles rate limiting

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 21:45:36 +0100

Hi,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès schreef op do 03-03-2022 om 22:13 [+0100]:
>> With this change, ‘guix refresh’ warns you when the GitHub rate limit
>> is reached, but it keeps going, falling back to the ‘generic-git’
>> updater if it’s among the applicable updaters:
>> [...]
>
> WDYT of avoiding the rate limit by caching, using 'http-fetch/cached'?
> GitHub does not count requests setting If-Modified-Since against the
> rate limit (assuming the answer hasn't changed).

My concern is that we’d end up caching one or two little files in
~/.cache for each candidate package, and (rate limit aside) the overhead
of dealing with the cache might outweigh the benefits.  I’d rather use
‘http-fetch/cached’ for bigger files, like in (guix cve).

WDYT?

My goal here was to ensure the ‘github’ updater doesn’t get in the way
of those who don’t want to specify a token.

Thanks,
Ludo’.