Subject: Re: [bug#54235] [PATCH 2/3] gnu: Add ck.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 13:57:33 -0500

Hi Maxime,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer schreef op do 03-03-2022 om 09:05 [-0500]:
>> +          (replace 'configure
>> +            ;; ck uses a custom configure script that stumbles on
>> +            ;; '--enable-fast-install'.
>> +            (lambda* (#:key parallel-build? #:allow-other-keys)
>> +              (invoke "./configure"
>> +                      (string-append "--prefix=" #$output)
>> +                      (string-append "--mandir=" #$output "/share/man")
>> +                      "--use-cc-builtins"
>> +                      (string-append "--cores="
>> +                                     (if parallel-build?
>> +                                         (number->string (parallel-job-count))
>> +                                         "1"))))))))
>
> For cross-compilation support, it seems that the CC environment
> variable needs to be set (and possibly AR and LD as well).

It seems to be handled alright as it is; at least I was able to build
with:

./pre-inst-env guix build --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf ck
[...]
done with offloaded '/gnu/store/m1gv4a1q9cv3ig9v4bymb9wd9l6g93y3-ck-0.7.1.drv'
successfully built /gnu/store/m1gv4a1q9cv3ig9v4bymb9wd9l6g93y3-ck-0.7.1.drv
/gnu/store/n6ipif548pxk0319kpchpxa7h5z6pzcm-ck-0.7.1

> Also, the configure script looks in /proc/cpuinfo for ‘address sizes’
> and ‘VMA bits’, there might be some reproducibility and cross-
> compilation concerns there.

I haven't seen nondetermism in the builds between x86_64 host of very
different architecture (Core 2 Duo from 2007 vs a recent Ryzen).

> The configure script enables SSE things by default (on x86-32).  I
> don't know if that can be assumed in Guix.

SSE was introduced with the Pentium III line in 1999.  I'd think that's
old enough to assume it's available for x86 machines.

Thanks for taking a look and paying attention to these tricky issues.
With my observations above, does it look good to you?

Thanks,

Maxim