Subject: Re: bug#54234: Dropping versioned docdir for license files?

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 15:43:44 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer schreef op do 03-03-2022 om 08:37 [-0500]:
> It seems to me it'd be nicer to have both agree on the same docdir.  We
> could drop the version and use gnu-build-system's docdir, or alter the
> default gnu-build-system docdir to use a versioned output.  The later
> some more troublesome, as we'd have to do the same adjustment for each
> build system, and I'm not convinced of the value added.  So I'd suggest
> we simply normalize to use the standard docdir.
> 
> What do you think?

This does not really answer your question, but if we do this, we could
combine this with another change:

Some software does not work with a COPYING or LICENSE file, or they do
but also have other relevant licenses.  E.g., gnunet-scheme follows
REUSE and puts the license texts in a LICENSES directory and some extra
information in '.reuse/dep5'.  It would be nice if those were copied
as well.

Also, to partially answer your question: probably not all
gnu-build-system packages actually implement the 'docdir' option
and might even error out if it is passed.  Fixing these build failures
might be tedious.

Greetings,
Maxime.