Subject: bug#54234: closed (Re: bug#54234: Dropping versioned docdir for license files?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 May 2025 04:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#54234: Dropping versioned docdir for license files?

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54234: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54234
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54234: Dropping versioned docdir for license files?
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 May 2025 13:38:35 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is this still of interest?

I think I had found that some build systems would install their doc to a
version-less docdir, while some others use a versioned docdir, so we'd
have to ensure the various build systems are consistent, ideally.

I guess I or someone can send a patch if/when they get to it.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: Dropping versioned docdir for license files?
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 08:37:39 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix,

Recently while packaging sysbench, I noticed that the gnu-build-system's
docdir expands to 'share/doc/name', while the 'install-license-files'
phase installs the license files to 'share/doc/name-version' instead:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ find /gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/bin
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/bin/sysbench
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/etc
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/etc/ld.so.cache
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/doc
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/doc/sysbench
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/doc/sysbench/manual.html
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/doc/sysbench-1.0.20
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/doc/sysbench-1.0.20/COPYING
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/bulk_insert.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_delete.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_insert.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_read_only.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_point_select.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_update_index.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_read_write.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_update_non_index.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/select_random_points.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/select_random_ranges.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_write_only.lua
/gnu/store/97q84ivbx8xa2lm3pn4pyb3i96n58i5g-sysbench-1.0.20/share/sysbench/oltp_common.lua
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It seems to me it'd be nicer to have both agree on the same docdir.  We
could drop the version and use gnu-build-system's docdir, or alter the
default gnu-build-system docdir to use a versioned output.  The later
some more troublesome, as we'd have to do the same adjustment for each
build system, and I'm not convinced of the value added.  So I'd suggest
we simply normalize to use the standard docdir.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Maxim