Subject: bug#54230: 29.0.50; Unhelpful regexp hint in search-whitespace-regexp

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 10:39:39 +0100

In the documentation for the 'search-whitespace-regex':

Actual:

> You might want to use something like "[ \\t\\r\\n]+" instead.

Expected:

> You might want to use something like "[ \t\r\n]+" instead.

Just the "expected" version works:

;; Make Isearch search across spaces, tabs, and newlines.
(setq isearch-lax-whitespace t
      isearch-regexp-lax-whitespace t
      search-whitespace-regexp "[ \t\r\n]+")

Rudy

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 11, x86_64-apple-darwin21.2.0, NS appkit-2113.20 Version 12.1 (Build 21C52))
 of 2022-03-01 built on Workstation.local
Repository revision: caae254bb478ad83ba9caec6ec94b54e9abfb4c9
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-json --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  telega-root-auto-fill-mode: t
  telega-active-locations-mode: t
  telega-patrons-mode: t
  telega-mode-line-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  lingua-franca-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mouse-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  corfu-global-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/salutis/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20220227.1751/transient hides /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message mail-extr notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump
notmuch-hello notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua
notmuch-message notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address
notmuch-company notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj notmuch-query
icalendar notmuch-tag notmuch-lib notmuch-version notmuch-compat
flyspell-correct mhtml-mode css-mode js sgml-mode htmlize ox-org
ess-r-mode ess-r-flymake ess-r-xref ess-trns ess-r-package
ess-r-completion ess-roxy ess-r-syntax ess-rd hideshow ess-s-lang
ess-help ess-mode ess-inf ess-tracebug ess ess-utils ess-custom pdf-sync
pdf-annot facemenu pdf-outline pdf-links pdf-history pdf-occur ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet
pdf-isearch pdf-misc pdf-tools pdf-view pdf-cache pdf-info pdf-util
pdf-macs org-archive goto-addr cal-move org-duration org-pomodoro alert
log4e gntp org-timer holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-iso vterm term ehelp vterm-module term/xterm xterm hl-line
emms-player-mpd emms-url emms-player-simple emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-volume emms-volume-sndioctl
emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse emms-volume-amixer
emms-playlist-mode emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-cache emms-info emms-later-do emms emms-compat tramp-archive
tramp-gvfs consult-project-extra autoload lisp-mnt mm-archive gnutls
network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth telega-obsolete
telega telega-tdlib-events telega-webpage visual-fill-column telega-root
telega-info telega-chat telega-modes telega-company telega-user
telega-notifications notifications telega-voip telega-msg telega-tme
telega-sticker telega-i18n telega-vvnote bindat telega-ffplay
telega-media telega-sort telega-filter telega-ins telega-folders
telega-inline telega-tdlib telega-util rainbow-identifiers dired-aux
color telega-server telega-core telega-customize emacsbug sendmail
tramp-cmds eglot array jsonrpc ert debug pcase ox-md ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-habit org-agenda
ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox citar-org oc-csl citeproc
citeproc-itemgetters citeproc-biblatex citeproc-bibtex citeproc-cite
citeproc-subbibs citeproc-sort citeproc-name citeproc-formatters
citeproc-number rst citeproc-proc citeproc-disamb citeproc-itemdata
citeproc-generic-elements citeproc-macro citeproc-choose citeproc-date
citeproc-context citeproc-prange citeproc-style citeproc-locale
citeproc-term citeproc-rt citeproc-lib citeproc-s let-alist queue org-id
org-refile citar parsebib citar-file sh-script smie executable
geiser-mode geiser-xref magit-extras misearch multi-isearch
bug-reference vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
face-remap magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit
log-edit add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode magit-git
magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor helpful imenu trace edebug
backtrace f elisp-refs s dash char-fold orderless preview tex-buf
font-latex latex latex-flymake flymake-proc flymake tex-ispell tex-style
tex crm texmathp tex-mode flyspell ispell image-file image-converter
disp-table display-fill-column-indicator hl-todo yasnippet diff-hl
log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc paredit fortune pdf-loader
lingua-franca ob-sqlite ob-sql ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-R org-clock
consult-vertico consult recentf tree-widget marginalia vertico-mouse
vertico corfu cap-words superword subword saveplace autorevert
filenotify modus-operandi-theme modus-themes delsel diminish bbdb
bbdb-site timezone geiser-guile tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration cus-edit cus-load files-x tramp-compat shell ls-lisp
info-look geiser geiser-repl geiser-compile geiser-debug compile
transient comp comp-cstr warnings edmacro kmacro geiser-image
geiser-company geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-edit etags fileloop xref
project geiser-completion geiser-autodoc geiser-eval geiser-connection
tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree geiser-log
geiser-popup view geiser-custom geiser-base savehist
exec-path-from-shell finder-inf elfeed-link elfeed-show elfeed-search
elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log xml-query bookmark pp elfeed-db
elfeed-lib vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher ffap org-element avl-tree
generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file url-dired svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi cl-extra
help-mode org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex
iso8601 time-date ol rx org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
tex-site info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1455273 180720)
 (symbols 48 70059 3)
 (strings 32 373564 48005)
 (string-bytes 1 15270578)
 (vectors 16 138916)
 (vector-slots 8 3198151 209138)
 (floats 8 10103 1186)
 (intervals 56 25571 7805)
 (buffers 992 64))

-- 
"Programming reliably -- must be an activity of an undeniably
mathematical nature […] You see, mathematics is about thinking, and
doing mathematics is always trying to think as well as possible."
-- Edsger W. Dijkstra, 1981

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia