Subject: Re: [PATCH] (guix-data-service) Add nl_NL.UTF-8 locale

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 21:19:49 +0000

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> The nl_NL.UTF-8 translation (*) are currently almost 100%.
> How about adding the nl_NL.UTF-8 locale?  I sent a patch
> doing this to guix-devel as suggested in the README, but
> it seems to have been lost (see
> https://lists.gnu.org/r/guix-devel/2021-08/msg00132.html).
>
> (*) at least for the "guix" domain, the packages aren't translated much
> yet.
>
> Perhaps the locale list needs to be modified in other
> places as well (maybe
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/data-service.git/tree/guix-data-service/jobs/load-new-guix-revision.scm?id=3a9079856742b4d97bc434837323ff02eb9d32c3#n422>?).

Hey Maxime,

Your email last year did reach me, but obviously I overlooked it.

I've gone ahead and pushed your patch as
8ab72e633ae700fe58bb3bf72aa155d62c2bc22e, I'll deploy it to
data.guix.gnu.org within the next few days.

Note that the Guix Data Service only stores translated strings for lint
warnings, and package synopsis+descriptions, and that the storage
happens when a revision is processed, so this change will only have an
effect for revisions processed after it's made.

I tweaked the commit message slightly, and I also added nl_NL to the
second list of locales you spotted.

Ideally, the data service would get the list of locales from Guix
somehow, I'm not sure if that information is available, or quite how to
make it available, but these hardcoded locale lists are a bit of a hack.

Thanks,

Chris