Subject: Re: [bug#54221] [PATCH 4/4] gnu: neovim: Update package style.

From: SeerLite <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 14:36:07 -0300

On 3/2/22 14:40, Maxime Devos wrote:
> SeerLite via Guix-patches via schreef op wo 02-03-2022 om 10:17 [-
> 0300]:
>> +                     (vimrc #$(local-file (search-auxiliary-file "guix.vim"))))
> 
> This stops package transformations from being able to change the
> guix.vim used.  WDYT of using a variant of 'search-input-file', that
> strips the /gnu/store/HASH- part of the store item names and tests
> if the remainder equals the string "guix.vim"?  Such a procedure does
> not currently exist to my knowledge, but it could be written and would
> be useful outside the neovim definition.

Ah, is this also why package inputs are specified explicitly instead of 
using gexps?

Is there any benefit to being able to change such a file via a 
transformation? Editing the vimrc feels like editing the default 
configuration of the package, rather than swapping a dependency. And 
that looks odd to me, maybe because I'm more used to package 
dependencies as inputs.

The procedure sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't it be easier to just 
make `local-file` not prepend the hash to the filename by storing it 
inside a parent directory with said hash instead? Is something like that 
possible?