Subject: Re: bug#54214: 28.0.91; rcirc failed to report disconnection

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2024 08:12:23 +0800

Hello Philip,

On Wed 20 Apr 2022 at 02:59pm GMT, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

> Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I had a VPN connection go down, over which I had been running one of
>> three IRC sessions. The rcirc buffers for the channels on that server,
>> the server buffer, and the *Messages* buffer, gave no indication at all
>> that there was a problem. No disconnected status in the mode line, no
>> status messages logged, no reported attempts to reconnect. I only
>> noticed it when failing to ssh to another host.
>>
>> Before reconnecting, I did check “M-x list-processes”, and the server
>> connection for the third IRC server was not present, indicating that
>> Emacs recognized the TCP connection was gone. After I brought the VPN
>> back up, “/reconnect” brought the connection back up.
>
> Could you check if this issue still persists after the commit
> 37bccf19caa6ad245bb4c8adacfb1a1d203d1d2d?  The approach is to take
> advantage of the keepalive messages and attempt a reconnect if these
> fail.  This seems to have improved the connection quality on my systems.

I regularly have connection issues similar to those described by Ken.
I'm using a build of Emacs recent enough to include 37bccf19ca.

One thing I have noticed is that my unencrypted connection to a private
IRC server does not have these problems.  It is my SSL connection to
OFTC that disconnects without telling me.

Please let me know if you have ideas for some way that I could help debug.

-- 
Sean Whitton