Subject: Re: bug#54214: 28.0.91; rcirc failed to report disconnection

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:59:00 +0000

Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]> writes:

> I had a VPN connection go down, over which I had been running one of
> three IRC sessions. The rcirc buffers for the channels on that server,
> the server buffer, and the *Messages* buffer, gave no indication at all
> that there was a problem. No disconnected status in the mode line, no
> status messages logged, no reported attempts to reconnect. I only
> noticed it when failing to ssh to another host.
>
> Before reconnecting, I did check “M-x list-processes”, and the server
> connection for the third IRC server was not present, indicating that
> Emacs recognized the TCP connection was gone. After I brought the VPN
> back up, “/reconnect” brought the connection back up.

Could you check if this issue still persists after the commit
37bccf19caa6ad245bb4c8adacfb1a1d203d1d2d?  The approach is to take
advantage of the keepalive messages and attempt a reconnect if these
fail.  This seems to have improved the connection quality on my systems.

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic