Subject: bug#54188: Crash when eval-ing font test elisp code

From: Vordoo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 22:33:45 +0200

Hi,

1. Start emacs  -Q [28.0.91  or  28.0.60]

2. eval-buffer containing:

(require 'cl-lib)

(require 'cl-extra)

(let ((str "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog 
´`''\"\"1lI|¦!Ø0Oo{[()]}.,:; ")

       (font-families (cl-remove-duplicates

               (sort (font-family-list)

                 (lambda(x y) (string< (upcase x) (upcase y))))

               :test 'cl-equalp)))

   (dolist (ff font-families)

     (insert

      (propertize str 'font-lock-face `(:family ,ff))               ff "\n"

      (propertize str 'font-lock-face `(:family ,ff :slant italic)) ff 
"\n")))

3. Emacs crash

Thread 1 "emacs" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x0000555555790ec1 in fontset_find_font ()

System config:

=============

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4)
  of 2022-02-27 built on kpc
Repository revision: 9bce4b67f1770e288a16b44478f1a6dfdc1fc177
Repository branch: makepkg
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-sound=alsa
  --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
  --without-gsettings --with-native-compilation --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --without-xaw3d --with-sound=alsa --without-gpm
  --without-compress-install
  '--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags.emacs/' 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
  -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
  -fcf-protection'
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xscheme hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.0.91/lisp/progmodes/xscheme

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs
cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 69706 6833)
  (symbols 48 6636 0)
  (strings 32 19572 2128)
  (string-bytes 1 669823)
  (vectors 16 14124)
  (vector-slots 8 299096 12484)
  (floats 8 23 38)
  (intervals 56 367 3)
  (buffers 992 11))

(gdb) bt full:

=============

#0  0x0000555555790ec1 in fontset_find_font ()
#1  0x00005555557918f1 in fontset_font ()
#2  0x0000555555791c92 in face_for_char ()
#3  0x00005555555d1fb8 in get_next_display_element ()
#4  0x00005555555daeb0 in display_line ()
#5  0x00005555555e0563 in try_window ()
#6  0x00005555555f604a in redisplay_window ()
#7  0x00005555555f89a3 in redisplay_window_0 ()
#8  0x000055555570de0c in internal_condition_case_1 ()
#9  0x00005555555b98ca in redisplay_windows ()
#10 0x00005555555e4085 in redisplay_internal ()
#11 0x0000555555698007 in read_char ()
#12 0x000055555569ae31 in read_key_sequence ()
#13 0x000055555569c7df in command_loop_1 ()
#14 0x000055555570dd77 in internal_condition_case ()
#15 0x000055555568cb4f in command_loop_2 ()
#16 0x000055555570dcba in internal_catch ()
#17 0x000055555568caeb in command_loop ()
#18 0x0000555555692905 in recursive_edit_1 ()
#19 0x0000555555692c5b in Frecursive_edit ()
#20 0x000055555559f3e4 in main ()