Subject: Re: bug#54183: 28.0.91; Emacs crashes on bookmark-jump

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 18:43:50 +0200

> From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 12:23:55 -0300
> 
> What I did now.  I extracted the tarball anew.  Applied the patch, which 
> succeeded. Configured with the same options as previously.  Ran `make', 
> which succeeded.  Ran `./src/emacs --daemon'.  Then 
> `./lib-src/emacsclient -c -a=""'. Called `bookmark-jump', which did not 
> produce a crash. The fringe mark was correctly displayed. Then I 
> attached to this process with GDB and made sure I was running the 
> correct version:
> 
> (gdb) break gui_define_fringe_bitmap
> Breakpoint 1 at 0x56464df0ea00: file fringe.c, line 1811.
> (gdb)
> 
> As far as I can tell, this looks good.  (Sorry for the mess on the 
> previous attempt).  Does it also look good to you?  Do you need any 
> further checks to be made on this side?

OK, thanks.  For the final check, please run "make install", so that
the patched binary replaces the original one, then start Emacs as you
were used to, via './lib-src/emacsclient -c -a=""', and see if your
original recipe now works without crashing.  I will then install the
changes on the emacs-28 branch, so they will be in Emacs 28.1.