Subject: Re: bug#54183: 28.0.91; Emacs crashes on bookmark-jump

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 18:33:29 +0200

> From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:57:44 -0300
> 
> I've been testing the pre-release and have found a problem with 
> `bookmark-jump', namely Emacs crashes when I call it.  However, I have 
> not been able to isolate the issue from my own settings (I can't 
> reproduce with `emacs -Q'), but since it is a crash case on a pre-test, 
> I thought it might be worth reporting even if not quite pinned down and 
> isolated.  Feel free to just close the report though, if you deem it too 
> vague or non-actionable.
> 
> As stated, the problem is that, when calling `bookmark-jump' and choose 
> any bookmark to jump to (e.g. to my Emacs `init.el'), Emacs crashes.
> 
> In trying to understand what was going on, even though I was not able to 
> isolate it from my own configuration, I did find some regularities. 
> First, the problem vanishes when setting the new 
> `bookmark-set-fringe-mark' to `nil'.  Second, when 
> `bookmark-set-fringe-mark' is set to `t' (the default), the crash only 
> happens when server/client is involved, not when Emacs is called as a 
> standalone process (formally, it happens when I start Emacs with 
> 'emacsclient --create-frame --alternate-editor=""', but not when I start 
> it with 'emacs').
> 
> I'd be happy to provide further information or perform further tests 
> under guidance, but I'm out of my depth so far in grasping what's going 
> on.  We may get somewhere since I can reproduce the problem reliably 
> here.  Or not, since it may well be just my fault, but that's as far as 
> I could get on my own.

Please attach GDB to the running Emacs, then repeat the problematic
recipe, and post here the backtrace from the crash.  That could help
us identify the problem.

Thanks.