Subject: Re: bug#54183: 28.0.91; Emacs crashes on bookmark-jump

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 11:23:04 -0300

On Thu, 03 Mar 2022 at 16:14, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I suspect that the way you started Emacs actually ran the installed
> executable of Emacs, without the patch.  Can you verify which
> executable file is being run?  One way to be sure is to try this
> command after you attach to a running Emacs:
>
>   (gdb) break gui_define_fringe_bitmap
>
> If this says the function gui_define_fringe_bitmap is not defined, you
> are running the old unpatched executable.
>

Your suspicion is right.  From the same session I've reported the last 
crash:

(gdb) break gui_define_fringe_bitmap
Function "gui_define_fringe_bitmap" not defined.
Breakpoint 1 (gui_define_fringe_bitmap) pending.

However, I did follow carefully the instructions. The patch reported to 
have been applied to each of the affected files. And, since I was 
unfamiliar with the procedure, before running `make', I rechecked each 
of the patched files to see if they contained the changed, and they did.

As far as I understand, this means that when I call 
`lib-src/emacsclient' it was actually bringing the installed `emacs' all 
along. Luckily, for the previous tests, it just so happened that it was 
identical to the version we wanted to test. But this is no longer the 
case now, given the patch. Is this correct?

And that's the procedure I had been following given the problem does not 
occur on a standalone Emacs instance.

That given, does starting it with `src/emacs --daemon', then connecting 
with `lib-src/emacsclient' seem like the correct procedure to you?