Subject: Re: bug#54183: 28.0.91; Emacs crashes on bookmark-jump

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 11:41:58 +0200

> From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 08:15:13 -0300
> 
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2022 at 13:11, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > No need to build from the repository.  You should be able to apply the
> > patch directly to the source tree that was produced by unpacking the
> > tarball.
> >
> > I will send the patch after I test it a bit.
> 
> I think I can handle that too. I don't recall applying a patch out of VC 
> myself, I don't suppose that's anything particularly complicated in 
> that, but if you tell me there's an obvious tool for the job, you can 
> shorten my path a little.

The patch is attached below (I used an attachment, to make sure
whitespace isn't mangled in email transfer).  To apply it from Emacs,
set the region to include the entire patch, and then type this:

  M-| patch -d /path/to/emacs -p1

where /path/to/emacs is the absolute file name of the top-level
directory of the Emacs source tree, the one which has the src, lisp,
etc. as its immediate subdirectories.

Alternatively, you can apply the patch from the shell command line.
To this end, save the patch on a file, then

  $ cd /path/to/emacs
  $ patch -p1 < PATCHFILE

where PATCHFILE is the file where you saved the patch.

These commands invoke the Patch utility, which I'm quite sure you
already have on your system.  If not, please install GNU Patch.

If you have problems with this command, i.e. if it reports some error,
please post the error message(s) here.

> Since I'll be rebuilding, please tell me if you need/want any particular 
> options/flags for configure. (Even if, of course, the hope is that 
> segfault no longer occurs).  The ones I'd been using in the tests 
> reported so far were:
> 
> #+begin_src bash
> ./configure --with-mailutils --with-xwidgets --with-modules 
> --with-native-compilation
> #+end_src

Please just say "make" in the top-level directory after patching the
sources, and then use the resulting src/emacs binary instead of your
installed Emacs, to verify that the problem is solved.  Let's see what
the patch does for the build you have with the configure options you
used.  If needed, we will reconfigure later.

Thanks.