Subject: 28.0.91; Emacs crashes on bookmark-jump

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:57:44 -0300

Hi All,

I've been testing the pre-release and have found a problem with 
`bookmark-jump', namely Emacs crashes when I call it.  However, I have 
not been able to isolate the issue from my own settings (I can't 
reproduce with `emacs -Q'), but since it is a crash case on a pre-test, 
I thought it might be worth reporting even if not quite pinned down and 
isolated.  Feel free to just close the report though, if you deem it too 
vague or non-actionable.

As stated, the problem is that, when calling `bookmark-jump' and choose 
any bookmark to jump to (e.g. to my Emacs `init.el'), Emacs crashes.

In trying to understand what was going on, even though I was not able to 
isolate it from my own configuration, I did find some regularities. 
First, the problem vanishes when setting the new 
`bookmark-set-fringe-mark' to `nil'.  Second, when 
`bookmark-set-fringe-mark' is set to `t' (the default), the crash only 
happens when server/client is involved, not when Emacs is called as a 
standalone process (formally, it happens when I start Emacs with 
'emacsclient --create-frame --alternate-editor=""', but not when I start 
it with 'emacs').

I'd be happy to provide further information or perform further tests 
under guidance, but I'm out of my depth so far in grasping what's going 
on.  We may get somewhere since I can reproduce the problem reliably 
here.  Or not, since it may well be just my fault, but that's as far as 
I could get on my own.

Best regards,
Gustavo.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-02-26 built on gusbrs-laptop
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12013000
System Description: Linux Mint 20.2

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation'
Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  dired-async-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  ws-butler-mode: t
  gb/global-mode-line-buffer-id-mode: t
  company-statistics-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  counsel-mode: t
  global-dired-hide-details-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  el-patch-use-package-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug smex face-remap ecomplete mu4e mu4e-main executable
conf-mode dired-async ffap view cl-print help-fns radix-tree pulse
reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars latex latex-flymake flymake-proc
flymake tex-ispell tex-style tex crm texmathp reveal elec-pair
display-fill-column-indicator org-element ol-eww eww mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar
ezimage dframe ol-docview ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
ob-eshell eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util ob-shell ob-gnuplot ob-octave ob-org
ob-python python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell ls-lisp ob-R ob-latex
mu4e-org mu4e-view mu4e-view-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader mu4e-view-common
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-context mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido
rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail mu4e-mark mu4e-proc mule-util hl-line
mu4e-utils doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif mu4e-lists mu4e-message
flow-fill mu4e-vars mu4e-meta org-attach org-id org-protocol org-habit
org-agenda org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp cus-start ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex
iso8601 ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs autorevert filenotify server recentf
tree-widget elfeed-show elfeed-search vc-git diff-mode flyspell ispell
ws-butler bookmark message rmc rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader shr kinsoku puny
svg dom elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib
time-date thingatpt avl-tree url-queue xml-query xml el-patch-template
delight company-statistics modus-operandi-theme modus-themes hl-todo
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-bbdb company pcase counsel xdg
xref project dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs swiper ivy ivy-faces
ivy-overlay colir color ibuf-macs rg vc vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack
advice rg-menu transient comp comp-cstr warnings rx format-spec
rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs grep compile text-property-search comint
ansi-color cl-extra help-mode el-patch async-bytecomp async winner ring
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro savehist so-long help-at-pt mb-depth avoid
delsel info tex-site package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit
cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 719256 118151)
 (symbols 48 43318 1)
 (strings 32 150650 18734)
 (string-bytes 1 5072106)
 (vectors 16 82975)
 (vector-slots 8 2100219 168177)
 (floats 8 617 877)
 (intervals 56 9922 659)
 (buffers 992 20))