Subject: bug#54179: 28.0.91; tab-first-completion defcustom :type specification

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 10:07:55 -0300

Hi All,

I've been trying out the pre-release and met the new 
`tab-first-completion' which looks interesting.

However, the `:type' specification of its `defcustom' quotes the non-nil 
values of the choice options, and it shouldn't.

Indeed, if one tries to set it with the customization interface, one 
gets something like the following in `custom-set-variables':

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
'(tab-first-completion ''word-or-paren)
#+end_src

And if one does set it outside the customization interface, one gets a 
mismatch for it.

Also, I think the `eol' tag is imprecise.  The docstring for the 
defcustom states "When `eol', only complete if point is at the end of a 
line.", while the `:tag` says "Unless at the end of a line".  As far as 
I understand the code and the intent here, the docstring seems to be 
correct, and the `:tag' needs adjustment to something like "Only at the 
end of a line".

Best regards,
Gustavo.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-02-26 built on gusbrs-laptop
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12013000
System Description: Linux Mint 20.2

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra
help-mode message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date subr-x seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 85982 7426)
 (symbols 48 7858 2)
 (strings 32 21613 3032)
 (string-bytes 1 749030)
 (vectors 16 16934)
 (vector-slots 8 330239 15295)
 (floats 8 28 37)
 (intervals 56 200 0)
 (buffers 992 11))